Monday, October 6, 2008

Lo Hicimos....kind of

I enjoyed reading birth stories so much, and I really wanted to document mine for later on, so be prepared...this is a long one. I kept track of what was going on and all the times. Enjoy!
I woke up at 6:15am on Thursday, October 2nd. Being so pregnant, I headed straight for the bathroom, only my pee beat me to the toilet..or so I thought. I figured this was the part of pregnancy no one talked about too much (except maybe on the nest). Then, stuff just kept on coming out...every time I moved or got up. I thought it could be my water leaking, but that happens so rarely, and I still had 3 weeks to go. When it didn't stop leaking, I figured I should call L&D. They said come in to get checked. I got permission to shower (thank GOD!!), and had Luis finish packing the bag. On our way there, Luis kept saying, "We're going to have a baby today!" and I kept saying, "I won't believe it until the doctor tells me. I think I'm just peeing on myself." to which he replied, "No one has that much pee!" Anyway, I digress..
At 8:30am, the doctor planned to do that test to see if it's your water or not, but she looked in there and said, "Yep, my friend, you're ruptured. I'm not even going to do the test." I still didn't believe it, by the way. They said I was 2cm and 60% effaced and that they'd admit me and start pitocin. Since I planned on natural birth, I asked if we could have a couple hours to see if things would pick up on their own. They agreed, which was great. I couldn't walk around much (due to risk of cord prolapse they said), but I was free to just labor on my own. Luis was attempting this acupressure stuff I printed out. I was checked again at 11:30am, and I progressed to 3cm, 70%, but the baby was still really high and the docs wanted to start pitocin. I agreed to the lowest setting (1), and they said they'd check me in 2 hours. At 1:30 I was almost 4cm, baby still high, pitocin level going up a bit. Every hour or so, they increased the pitocin by one or two, and the contractions started getting more intense. I was able to talk through them all afternoon though. 5:30 I got checked again- 5cm, baby still high, more pitocin..more frequent (but still bearable) contractions. Around 8:00, I'd say I was really in "active" labor. This would've been when I went to the hospital had my water not broken. Still though, as of my last check at 8:30, I was only 5cm and the baby hadn't moved down much. I started to see my birth plan unravel, but I knew it would be okay, and that the baby's health was most important. They increased the pitocin, but I don't remember what number it was. I had to breathe through all the contractions now, which were about 2-3 minutes apart. My husband and the nurse, Celeste, were absolutely WONDERFUL. I wouldn't have made it through without them. I was supposed to get checked between 10 and 10:30 for progress and to see what was next, since it had been so long since my water broke.
Well, at 9:15 or so, I wanted to give up. Luis said to wait until they checked me. I agreed....then 9;45 rolled around and I said, "I can't do it anymore. I am tired, I need a break, I want the epidural. I can't do this all night" The contractions were 1-2 minutes apart and sometimes they "coupled", (one contraction on top of the other). The anesthesiologist came right in, and I asked him for the lowest amount of meds he could give me. He said okay and we'd adjust it as needed. He seemed convinced I'd be asking for more medicine soon after. By 10:05 the epi was in place. I could still feel my contractions, but they were like my 5:30 contractions. She (Celeste) said I'd get a catheter in about 30 minutes once the epi really kicked in and I was more this point I could still feel my legs and all. I never did get that catheter. Here's the crazy part...
10:20...major urge to push. I told the nurses (I probably sounded like Satan) "I FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO PUSH!!" The nurses told me not to push because I needed a doctor to deliver the baby, I told them- "Get a doctor because I'm pushing!!!!" Apparently, I was fully dilated and ready. Well, the epi did NOT have time to kick in fully, and I felt everything...except the full strength of the contractions. I could feel the pushing, and at one point I screamed this bloodcurdling scream that I didn't even recognize- the doctor said, "That's the ring of fire! You're almost done." I pushed for a total of 20 minutes and at 10:40pm, she was born. It was amazing. I'm so glad I could still feel everything, even though it hurt. I couldn't really see what was going on, but Luis said the cord was wrapped around her neck 3 times and she swallowed a lot of amniotic fluid. They had to do something (I was busy getting my 2nd degree tear stitched to see) to clear out her stomach and she had a little trouble breathing. They took her to be monitored, and everything was fine after a bit, thank God. She's perfect. She weighed 6lbs 15oz (my exact birth weight) and is 19 inches long.
I couldn't be happier with the way the birth went. While I did end up with the epidural, I still felt every single inch of her being born. I also wonder if I was that far along when I got the epi, or if that is what helped her come so fast? Either way, I'm elated with motherhood. Nursing is hard work, but totally worth it. I don't know what else I can say. Praise God for our little blessing, Kadence Evelyn.


Jill said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so impressed that you labored so long with the Pit before getting a little help. I think Pit would have done me in. You did such a wonderful job! And who needs date night when you two can marvel and the wonderful being you made ; ) I'm glad you all are healthy and happy. You will have to let me know when pictures are up.

alelandrymusic said...

What a great birth story! I really enjoyed reading it.